• Make sure all your tools, chemical supplies and fertilizers are ready for spring
• Check all plants for unwanted pests and come in to get advice and products
• Mulch! It saves on water and your back- less weeds
• Check your irrigation system to make sure it functions properly, and all heads are working. Daylight savings time begins on Sunday, March 14th which brings different watering requirements- check what the requirements are for your area and remember-established landscapes only need 3/4 to 1 inch of water per week- from all sources.
• Spray citrus trees with Copper Fungicide when new growth starts flushing to prevent fungal disease. Repeat in two weeks. If you wait until you have fungus it will be too late- you need to try to prevent instead.
• Spray azaleas with a Horticultural Oil to prevent lace bugs. These bugs are microscopic and can play havoc with your plants as they tend to go unnoticed until damage is done. Spray preventively before 7am or after 7pm.
Lawns will start to grow rapidly again this month. It will be time to dust off the mower and check it out.
Begin mowing at the recommended heights for your grass:
• Bahia: 3″-4″
• St. Augustine: 3″-4″
• Zoysia: 1″-2″
• Bermuda: 1/2″-1 1/2”
What to do in the Lawn
March is the month when bugs hatch out and weeds germinate along with all the other growth currently happening in your garden!
St. Augustine Lawns:
Hi Yield Weed and Grass Stopper
Hi Yield Weed and Grass Stopper is a product for use in ornamental landscape areas and established lawns. Weed and Grass stopper is a pre-emergence preventer. It will not eliminate existing established weeds. It will provide up to 4 months of control. Irrigate ½ inch following application.
Zoysia & St. Augustine Lawns:
Bug Blaster is a broad-spectrum control of insect pests in lawns and landscaped areas. It controls fire ants, fleas, ticks, mole crickets and chinch bugs to name a few. Irrigate immediately after applying.
Bahia Grass Lawns:
Grub Free Zone
Grub Free Zone is a product designed to eliminate grubs from your lawn before they hatch. This product provides season long control- one application. Irrigate after application.