Those Pesky Insects!
This is the time of year when insects become VERY active. Aphids, leafhoppers, grasshoppers, leaf miner, scales, mealy bugs, spider mites and thrips are all out in force looking for something to munch on. Keep an eye out for the orange caterpillars on Oleanders as well. One of the best insecticides on the market is Spinosad and we highly recommend it. This natural organic works well and is safe for people, pets and the environment.
Take the time to walk through your garden and really LOOK at your plants. If caught early, pests and disease are much easier to control. Anytime you apply sprays or insecticides to your garden always use the 7-7 rule – 7 in the morning or 7 in the afternoon to reduce the risk of burning the plant under the sun’s rays. 7 in the afternoon would be much better, on a day when your irrigation will not run and no rain is in the forecast, but more importantly, late afternoon is when beneficial bees are the least active and less likely to be harmed by the spray.
• If no rain, water twice per week, putting down no more than ¾”-1” of water per week. This includes any rain we may receive. Excess watering leads to more problems than under watering does!
• Mow to ensure that no more than 1/3 of the grass blade is cut at a time. Cut St. Augustine 3 ½-4”, Bahia 3”-4”, Zoysia 2”.
• Add mulch to flower beds, shrubs and trees to a depth of 2”. Do not mulch around citrus trees.
• Turf grass fertilizer can be applied early in the month (See Lawn Calendar). After mid- April, most weed and feed products should not be applied. Wait until cooler fall weather.
• Now is also the perfect time to repair dead or damaged spots in your lawn. Make sure new sod gets watered! First 7-10 days- 5 minutes- twice per day; Next 7-10 days, once per day; next 7-10 days- every other day; 3-4 weeks after planting: 1-2 times per week putting down about ½ inch of water.
For St Augustine, Zoysia and Bahia it’s time to apply:
Lawn Food Plus Iron
• Contains Micronutrients, Iron and Sulfur
• Deep, green lush lawn in 2 weeks
• Can be applied every 3 months (if you like to mow!)
• Water immediately after application.
• Will stain driveways and sidewalks – Sweep back onto lawn (do not hose off)
A good all-around lawn food with iron for fast immediate greening on all types of lawns. The iron in the product is chelated for fast, long lasting green-up of the lawn. It contains two types of Nitrogen, which allow for quick greening and slow release for long term stable growth.
Hi-Yeild Grub Free Zone
• Controls insects on turf and ornamentals.
• A systemic insecticide applied as a soil treatment only and is translocated upward within the plant.
• Controls Grubs, Mole Crickets and the larvae of European Crane Fly, Green June Beetles, Japanese Beetles, Billbugs and other listed on label.